Establishment of Regional Office of Universal Postal Union in New Delhi
An agreement has been made with the Universal Postal Union (UPU) to establish a regional office in New Delhi, which will provide development cooperation and technical assistance to the region. This decision was approved by the Union Cabinet, led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and will allow India to play a more active role in the postal sector, with a focus on South-South and Triangular cooperation.
Establishment of Regional Office of Universal Postal Union: Key Points
- India will provide staff, an office setup, and a project expert for field work, to implement training and capacity building projects, e-commerce and trade promotion, and enhance postal technology in coordination with UPU.
- This initiative will strengthen diplomatic ties and enhance India’s presence in the global postal forum, with particular emphasis on the Asia-Pacific region.
About Universal Postal Union (UPU):
- The Universal Postal Union (UPU), founded under the Treaty of Bern in 1874, has its headquarters in the Swiss city of Bern.
- It operates as a United Nations (UN) specialized agency and is responsible for regulating postal policies and services among member nations worldwide.
- The UPU is composed of the Congress, Council of Administration (CA), Postal Operations Council (POC), and International Bureau (IB), and manages the Telematics and Express Mail Service (EMS) cooperatives.
- All members must comply with the same set of terms and conditions for conducting international postal duties.
Also Read: New Parliament Building Name, Location, Design, Architect, History