In a move to address challenges in the ship design and construction industry, Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd, a defence PSU (Public Sector Undertaking) based in Kolkata, has launched an innovation nurturing scheme. The GRSE Accelerated Innovation Nurturing Scheme – 2023 (GAINS) aims to generate a large number of ideas and support their development through a two-stage process.
The primary objective of GAINS 2023 is to identify and encourage the development of innovative solutions for technological advances in shipbuilding, particularly from startups. GRSE intends to leverage the ecosystem to address both present and emerging challenges in the ship design and construction industry. The focus areas for GAINS 2023 include artificial intelligence, renewable energy, energy efficiency, and efficiency enhancement.
The scheme was launched by G Surya Prakash, the youngest officer of GRSE and assistant manager in the finance department. The virtual event was attended by Rajeev Chandrasekhar, the Minister of State for Electronics and IT and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, who emphasized that the partnership between GRSE and innovators is a “win-win” situation that will shape the future of technology and innovation in the ship design and construction industry.
Open innovation, a well-established and effective approach, will be used to gather ideas from outside the organization and create better solutions in a relatively short time. This initiative by GRSE is the first of its kind undertaken by a public sector undertaking to launch a startup challenge. The chairman and managing director of GRSE, Commodore P R Hari (retd), expressed that the aim is to tap into the inherent strength and capabilities of the Indian startup ecosystem to develop technologically innovative solutions.
Features and Functionality
The GRSE Accelerated Innovation Nurturing Scheme – 2023 (GAINS) follows a two-stage process:
- Idea Generation: The scheme invites innovators to participate in an open innovation challenge, encouraging them to submit their ideas. The focus areas for the ideas include artificial intelligence, renewable energy, energy efficiency, and efficiency enhancement in ship design and construction.
- Idea Selection and Nurturing: From the submitted ideas, a few promising ones will be selected for further development and nurturing. GRSE will provide support, resources, and mentorship to the chosen innovators to help them refine and implement their ideas.
The launch of GAINS 2023 brings several benefits to the ship design and construction industry:
- Innovation Boost: By engaging with startups and encouraging open innovation, GRSE aims to generate a large number of innovative ideas. This will help the industry overcome existing challenges and stay ahead of emerging trends.
- Technological Advances: The scheme’s focus areas, including artificial intelligence, renewable energy, and energy efficiency, aim to promote technological advancements in shipbuilding. This will lead to more sustainable and efficient ships.
- Collaboration Opportunities: The partnership between GRSE and innovators provides an opportunity for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and mutual growth. It fosters a collaborative ecosystem that can drive innovation and enhance the ship design and construction industry.
The launch of GAINS 2023 reflects GRSE’s vision to foster innovation and leverage the Indian startup ecosystem for technological advancements in ship design and construction. By actively engaging with innovators and encouraging open innovation, GRSE aims to create a collaborative environment that accelerates the development and implementation of cutting-edge solutions in the industry. This vision aligns with the government’s focus on promoting innovation and entrepreneurship in India’s defence sector, driving the country’s progress toward self-reliance and global competitiveness.
Find More News Related to Schemes & Committees