India led as the top source market for Sri Lanka’s tourism sector for the month of April 2023. India regained the top spot after six months as almost 20,000 Indian tourists arrived in the island nation last month. Sri Lanka’s Tourism Authority figures showed that 19,915 Indians had visited the island in April over 14,656 Russian tourist arrivals. Russians remained the top inbound market from October 2022 to March this year. Tourist arrivals from India in 2022 stood at 1.23 lakhs with a share of 17.1 per cent. In April, the arrivals topped 100,000 for the fourth consecutive time since in the island taking the total arrivals in the first four months to over 4.4 lakhs.
Sri Lanka has achieved nearly 7.2 lakh tourist arrivals in 2022. Chairman of the SLTDA Priantha Fernando had said last month that the target for tourist arrivals in Sri Lanka will be revised to 20 lakhs from the initial estimates of 15 lakhs.
Here are some static GK facts about Sri Lanka:
- Sri Lanka has two official languages: Sinhala and Tamil.
- The country has a total land area of approximately 65,610 square kilometers.
- Sri Lanka has a tropical climate, with the rainy season lasting from May to September and the dry season lasting from December to March.
- The Sri Lankan rupee is the official currency of the country.
- The highest point in Sri Lanka is Pidurutalagala, which stands at 2,524 meters (8,281 feet) tall.
- Sri Lanka is home to several UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, the Sigiriya Rock Fortress, and the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy.
- Buddhism is the largest religion in Sri Lanka, with approximately 70% of the population practicing Buddhism.
- Sri Lanka is known for its tea production, with tea plantations covering large areas of the country.
- The national symbol of Sri Lanka is the Sri Lankan lion.
- The Sri Lankan flag features a yellow border, two stripes (green and orange), and a maroon background with a golden lion holding a sword.
Also Read: India and Ukraine Chamber of Commerce to be set up
Find More International News Here