‘M.V. MSS Galena’ the vessel flagged off by Shantanu Thakur
The Minister of State for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Shri Shantanu Thakur, presided over a ceremony where he inaugurated the Direct Shipping Service between Tuticorin and Maldives by flagging off the vessel ‘M.V. MSS Galena‘ from V.O. Chidambaranar Port.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
‘M.V. MSS Galena’ the vessel flagged off by Shantanu Thakur: Key Points
- During his visit to Maldives in June 2019, Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and President of Maldives discussed the need for better connectivity and infrastructure to improve bilateral trade between the two nations.
- As a result, the Ministry of Port, Shipping & Waterways, Government of India, and the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation, Government of Maldives signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish passenger and cargo services by sea.
- This aligns with India’s ‘Neighbourhood-First Policy’ and the vision of Security and Growth for all in the Region.
India Considers Joining G7-Piloted Climate Club to Boost Climate Action
About M.V. MSS Galena
- The service commenced on 4th May 2023, with the vessel ‘M.V. MSS Galena’, provided by the Shipping Corporation of India, carrying 270 TEUs of containers from PSA SICAL Container Terminal in Tuticorin.
- The rotation of this shipping service is Tuticorin – Male – Tuticorin, and is scheduled to make 3 calls a month.
- The launch of this service reflects India’s commitment to enhancing connectivity and promoting maritime trade links with Maldives, leading to greater trade and economic opportunities between the two countries.
- Previously, bulk cargo was sent through barges and sail ships, and containers were routed through Colombo.
- An earlier service between Tuticorin – Kochi – Kulhudhuffushi – Male was operated by SCI, using the vessel ‘MCP Linz’.
SCI operated a service connecting Tuticorin, Kochi, Kulhudhuffushi, and Male. On 21.09.2020, the vessel MCP Linz, with a container capacity of 200 TEUs and a general cargo capacity of 3000 Tonnes, was launched. The contract concluded on 28.08.2022.
Also Read: Supreme Court allows divorce on the grounds of “irretrievable breakdown of marriage”
Leave a Reply