Mastercard Replacing BharatPe as ICC’s Global Sponsor
Mastercard has reportedly taken over from BharatPe as the global sponsor of the International Cricket Council (ICC), a multinational financial services corporation based in the United States. Over the past year, Mastercard has been actively seeking to secure lucrative sponsorship deals and has already secured the title sponsorship rights for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) international and domestic home fixtures from Paytm.
Mastercard Takes Over as ICC’s Global Sponsor: Key Points
- Although Mastercard had expressed interest in the Indian Premier League (IPL) before the 2022 edition, RuPay took over the category.
- The ICC usually holds a three-year sponsorship, and BharatPe was the global sponsor from June 7, 2021, until the end of 2023.
- As part of this partnership, BharatPe was able to promote its buy now pay later brand, postpe, at all ICC events between the World Test Championship 2021 and the ICC Men’s ODI World Cup 2023.
- According to sources, BharatPe had blocked the sponsorship category of banking and wallet.
- BharatPe has faced setbacks over the past year and is looking to end its partnership with the international cricket governing body in order to reduce its advertising expenses.
- However, according to sources from SportsMint, Mastercard has already secured a deal with the ICC to take BharatPe’s place as a sponsor.
This multi-year agreement will provide Mastercard with prominent on-screen and in-venue branding opportunities, such as having their logo displayed in 3D on the field and on LED advertising boards near the boundary rope. Additionally, Mastercard will have the chance to create exclusive experiences for its customers during the upcoming ICC Men’s ODI World Cup 2023 in India.
Technology Business Park in Vizag to be setup by AdaniConneX
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Mastercard: Michael Miebach
- Group President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of BharatPe: Suhail Sameer
- Headquarters of Mastercard: New York, United States
- Headquarters of BharatPe: Gurugram, Haryana, India
Also Read: Adani Ports completes sale of Myanmar port for $30 million