Praveen Chithravel sets new triple jump national record
Indian athlete Praveen Chithravel achieved an extraordinary feat by winning the men’s triple jump event at an athletics meet in Havana, Cuba, with a record-breaking national mark of 17.37m. He surpassed the previous men’s triple jump national record of 17.30m, set by Renjith Maheswary at the third Indian Grand Prix in Bangalore in 2016.
Praveen Chithravel achieved this exceptional mark with his fifth jump at the Prueba de confrontacion 2023, amidst a headwind reading of -1.5m/s, which is below the permitted wind assistance for official records (+2.0m/s). Nonetheless, all national records require ratification from the Athletics Federation of India (AFI).
Praveen Chithravel sets new triple jump national record: Key Points
- The outstanding accomplishment of Praveen Chithravel also qualifies him for the World Athletics Championships 2023, scheduled to take place in Budapest from August 19 to 27.
- Additionally, he comprehensively beat the Asian Games 2023 qualifying standard of 16.60m set by the Athletics Federation of India (AFI), as he had already breeched the mark in March with a 17.17m leap at the second Indian Open Jumps Competition in Bellary.
- Before Saturday, his personal best in the triple jump was recorded at 17.18m in Chennai last year.
- After narrowly missing out on a podium finish at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, Praveen Chithravel has made an exceptional start to the 2023 season.
- In February, he achieved a 16.98m leap, breaking the national indoor record and winning a silver medal at the Asian Indoor Athletics Championships 2023 in Astana.
- He followed this up by winning a gold medal at the second Indian Open Jumps Competition 2023 in March.
At the same meet, Thirumaran Selva Prabhu also set a new Indian junior (U20) record of 16.58m, finishing fourth. Arpinder Singh, the 2018 Asian Games triple jump champion, finished sixth in the 10-man field with his best leap of 15.03m.
Also Read: Madraid Open 2023: Carlos Alcaraz successfully defended Madrid Open trophy
Find More Sports News Here